Thursday, January 15, 2015

A New Start, Exploration Basics and a Mission!

So I wiped my save and started anew. I was hoping to start in a different area but it seems I started once again in LHS 3447.


I was happy that the game allowed me to keep my CMDR name as it would have been a little awkward writing a blog about Robert Dhal with a CMDR name Lenny Philpot or whatever...

I digress....My new CMDR status and ship:




With a new lease on life and 1000cr burning a hole in my pocket I set off to find adventure, sadly there were no missions I could accept in the starting station or the next station over, thus I decided to try my hand at the focus of this blog, Exploration. First I need to check out the starting Sidewinder and see what I have to help me out.


Looks like a Basic Discovery Scanner is what I have to work with for now, while it will get the job done it has extremely limited range. Most systems it won't find anything at all unless you fly around the system. ( In systems with stations that are unexplored, fly out to the station and use your discovery scanner to locate any system objects around the station).

Now this will get me started but I really will want to upgrade as soon as possible so lets see whats out the in the way of upgrades:

 A Detailed Surface Scanner, sounds interesting but for 250,000 credits its a bit out of my budget for the immediate future. (The Detailed Surface Scanner will double your income while scanning System objects, more on this later).


Here's another interesting bit of equipment the Intermediate Discovery Scanner, this item has increased range to help you find more objects in a system but again its well out of my price range at 505,000 credits. The Advanced Discovery Scanner is the pinnacle of exploration equipment it will discover every object in a system with one use but it prices in at over 1.5 million credits so it will be some time before I am able to afford one for sure.

So on to exploring, I have a OCD issue I'm having to overcome with not having the best gear in the game to start exploring but I have to tell myself there are 400 Billion systems out there so if I don't find everything in the systems I first start scanning in there are plenty more to explore!

Lets Check the Galaxy Map:

 
In the left hand console you will find it in the Navigation Tab
 
 
What I'm looking for is a system close by that I can reach and that the little solar system Icon is red. (This means I have not explored this system and have no information on it yet. Note: Not all systems are able to be explored, some systems you already start with data provided. I'm guessing this is to allow you to trade etc.. from the start).
 

So with my new destination set I'm off to explore this new system, once I jumped in to the new system I slowed to a stop and used my discovery scanner. I found one new object (the star), I targeted the star and once facing it I began to automatically scan it for data. This takes a bit of time so keep an eye out for other players or NPC's looking to do you harm you can identify players by the icon on the radar:

(Players are identified by a hollow box on the radar and NPC's by a solid box. If one starts making a beeline for your position you can be fairly certain they are up to no good).

This particular system had two stations in it so after scanning the star I flew out to one and then used my discovery scanner once again to locate more objects to collect data on. I then docked at the local station to check for any available missions. I'll supplement my exploration with missions to earn enough credits to upgrade my ship.


Success! there is a mission I am able to accept at this station. (Not all missions will be available due to cargo capacity faction standing etc... so you may not be able to take a mission at every station you come across until you upgrade you ship more).



I check the Galaxy map to make sure I can make it to the destination system before accepting the mission.


I also note that the route is going to take me through a couple more systems on the way so I check to see if any are unexplored...... there is one so I will catch it on the way to deliver my mission cargo.

It was a fairly uneventful trip completing the mission and I'm now 1403 credits richer! Only a few notable items before I sign off this time.

Don't forget to request docking permission:



Missions will effect your standings (some positive some negative so be mindful of which ones you accept so you don't ruin your reputation).



And you have to travel at least 20 light years away from where you scan the exploration data to be able to sell it. It doesn't matter if you travel further away as you won't get a better price. This may help you plan routes to make your scanning more efficient.  Here is an example of the scanning I completed this trip with just the Basic scanner.


There are credits to be made even with the starting equipment (almost double the amount for the mission I just completed if you notice the amounts!) So don't be discouraged or think you need the best equipment to get started, it can be done and it will be profitable.

I'm out for now but will be back soon with another update.

Fly Aimlessly!



"Mostly Aimless was created using assets and imagery from Elite: Dangerous, with the permission of Frontier Developments plc, for non-commercial purposes. It is not endorsed by nor reflects the views or opinions of Frontier Developments and no employee of Frontier Developments was involved in the making of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment